A way to attract customers during the busy back-to-school season, some of the stores may decide to waive down payments, extend pickup dates and offer incentives such as store gift certificates if the layaway is picked up on time.
The stores offering back-to-school layaways this year includes ALCO, Burlington Coat Factory, Kmart, T.J. Maxx/Marshalls, Sears, Toys R Us/Babies R Us, and online layaway websites. The details for each of the layaway programs are listed below.
ALCOALCO offers up to a 60-day layaway. The deposit is 20 percent of the total purchase price. An additional 20 percent is required within the first 30 days of the layaway. a Layaway Reminder of the final pickup date is made every 30 days. Food, consumables, perishable items, and clearance items may not be put on layaway.
For more information, view the weekly ad, and find stores near you, visit the ALCO Stores website.
Burlington Coat Factory Layaway Program
Burlington Coat Factory offers a 60-day in-store layaway, A 20 percent deposit, plus a $5 non-refundable service fee is required. An additional 20 percent payment is due within 14 days. Baby Depot-Burlington purchases placed on layaway are extended to 90 days.
A $10 cancellation fee is charged for cancelled orders. A gift card, rather than a cash refund, is issued for any remaining balance due to the customer. Refund of layaway deposits and payments is issued in the form of a store gift card.
For more information visit the customer service desk at a Burlington Coat Factory Store near you or view the corporate policy online.
Note: For customers choosing to layaway in Maryland, you may cancel within seven days for a refund of amounts paid. Refunds will be issued from the corporate office for applicable cash or credit. If you default or cancel after seven days, they may retain the lesser of 10 percent of the layaway price or total amount paid. All deposit refunds issued after seven days will be as a gift card only.
Kmart Layaway ProgramLayaway is available for in-store and online shoppers. Customers have two layaway options to choose from:
The eight-week option is available in-store and online. The minimum deposit on a new layaway is $15 or 10 percent, whichever is greater and a nonrefundable $5 service fee. The remaining balance after the deposit is broken down into four payments. There is a $10 cancellation fee.
The 12-week option is available in-store only with a total purchase of $300 or more. The minimum deposit is $30 or 10 percent, whichever is greater and a nonrefundable $10 service fee. The remaining balance, after the deposit, is broken down into six payments. There is a $20 cancellation fee.
- Items online that can be put on layaway are identified.
- There is a seven-day grace period on payments.
- All fees are nonrefundable.
- No partial cancellations are permitted.
- Cancellations can be made only in the store where you opened your contract.
T.J. Maxx and Marshalls Layaway ProgramsT.J. Maxx and Marshalls offers a 30-day layaway with the down payment of a minimum $10 or 10 percent of the total purchase, whichever is greater, and a $5 nonrefundable create fee. Jewelry, items that have been marked down, food items and furniture cannot be placed on layaway.
Layaways that are not picked up within 30 days are returned to stock. A $5 cancellation fee will be charged (in most states) on cancelled layaways.
To locate the T.J.Maxx store nearest to you, you can call the toll free at 1-800-2TJ-MAXX (1-800-285-6299) or visit the T.J. Maxx website.
To locate the nearest Marshalls store, visit theStore Locator page on the Marshall's website.
Sears Layaway ProgramThe layaway program at Sears is available in-store and online. Customers have two layaway options to choose from:
The eight-week option is available in-store and online. The payment is broken down into four payments after the down payment and there is a $5 nonrefundable service fee.
The 12-week layaway option is available in-store only on purchases of $400 or more. The balance after the deposit is broken down into six payments. There is a $25 cancellation fee.
For both options, payments can be made at the store where you purchased your layaway or online at Sears.com.
The service and a cancellation fee is charged if you cancel your layaway. The amount of the cancellation fee is set by region. Check with your local store or an online representative to find out the fee in your area.
Note: Items online that can be put on layaway are identified. There is a seven-day grace period for payment. No partial cancellations are permitted. All fees nonrefundable. Exclusions apply, see your local store for further details.
Toys R' Us and Babies R' Us Layaway ProgramsToys R' Us layaway is offered in stores only. There are four different layaway options: All Toy Layaway, Large Toy Layaway, Electronics Layaway, and Juvenile Layaway.
Here is a general breakdown of some items that relate to back to school, however more items can be placed on layaway. Contact your local store for more details.
- All Toy Layaway Options:
- Large Toy Layaway:
- Musical Instruments
- Basketball Systems
- Keyboards and Drum Set
- Musical Instruments
- Electronics Layaway:
- Video Game Hardware, Netbooks, Tablets, Cameras
- All Toy Layaway Options:
- Juvenile Products Layaway
- Baby Gear* - Strollers, Car Seats, Travel Systems
- Infant & Toddler Furniture - Cribs, Chests, Dressers
Deposits, Fees and Payments
- A deposit of at least 20% of the total price of your order plus all applicable taxes, a $5 service fee and shipping charges are due when the merchandise is put into layaway.
- You may make additional payments at any time, but 50% of the total price of your order must be paid within 45 days and the total price of your order must be paid within three months or 90 days or by the "Holiday Cutoff" when applicable.
Note: In Maryland, the service fee is limited to $1 for goods $500 or less and $5 for goods over $500.
- They accept payments by cash, check, credit card, debit card or gift card. Credit cards will be accepted by phoning the store where the layaway order was initiated.
- Large Toy and Juvenile items are held at off-site locations and therefore may not be available immediately (See store for details).
- Large Toy Layaway merchandise will be made available within 14 days of final payment.
A picture ID is required for all new layaway contracts, pickups, and refunds. Layaway contracts are nontransferable.
A full refund less the cancellation fee will be refunded to you in person at the store where you placed your original layaway order.
You may cancel your layaway at any time. Your contract will be automatically cancelled and ordered merchandise will be returned to stock if you do not make the scheduled payments.
No partial cancellations are permitted. All fees nonrefundable.
Individual Stare Polices
- Maryland - Shoppers have 15 days after the payment deadlines to make
the required payment and avoid cancellation.
- In Rhode Island and Ohio, you may cancel your order within 14 days
without any cancellation fee and re-order any items at that time.
- In Maryland, there is no cancellation fee for orders cancelled within
seven days of the order. Also in Maryland, if the price of the item you
order is reduced within 10 days of your order, you are entitled to a credit
for the difference in price.
- Alabama: The cancellation fee cannot exceed $25.
- Maryland and Rhode Island: The cancellation fee cannot exceed 10%.
- Ohio: The cancellation fee cannot exceed 10% and cannot exceed $25.
Online Layaway WebsitesYou may also choose online shopping websites that specialize in layaway plans: