Below are our top picks for where to shop online for school uniforms. Our main consideration is quality, price and customer services in regards to shipping and returns.
1. French ToastHere is the place to buy the official French Toast school uniforms. Shop from a large selection of items in girl's sizes 2T to Teens size 20, Slim and Plus and boy's sizes 2T to Teen 20, Slim and Husky.
Looking to save money? French Toast runs aggressive end-of-season sales with great discounts on many basic styles. Be sure to check out the clearance area throughout the year. Also, you can often get $5 standard shipping. The most current coupon code for the shipping offer can be seen (more often than not) on the homepage of the website.
Choose from or Value clothing. The Premium clothing runs an average of $3-$4 over the Value clothing. For example, the boys premium polo is $10.99 - $13.99 and the value polo is $5.99 - $10.99. Free shipping on purchases of $99 or more is often available to shoppers.
Navigating the site is a little odd. To shop the uniforms, select the "online" button on the top bar. Also, due to an exchange only (no refund) return policy, be sure to use the sizing chart on the site before ordering.
3. The GapThe Gap carries an exclusive line of girls and boys uniforms including basic polos, sweaters, twill pants, oxford shirts, skorts, jumpers and cardigans. For bargain hunters, shop the Gap uniforms during off season to get the best prices. During back-to-school take advantage of the "2 for" and pre-packaged multiple items for the best prices. The Gap runs free shipping on orders over $50 and free shipping on returns.
4. OldNavy.comShop a full range of uniform pieces for boys and girls. The oxford shirts for boys are priced at $12 (usually $10 when on sale). The short-sleeved pique polo's are 4 for $39.94. Girls button-up shirts cost $12-$13, polos $8-$10. Both departments carry twill bottoms at reasonable prices and have great prices during the off seasons. Also, OldNavy.com runs free shipping on orders over $50 and free shipping on returns.
5. JCPenneySelect from boy and girls and young men and women's uniforms. JCPenney has two major uniform brands - iZod and French Toast. Select from a nice selection of quality jumpers, skirts, khaki's, long and short sleeve polo's and more at medium prices. You can find boys and girls polo shirts for $8.99 - $10.00. Look for the "School Uniform" link under Kids.
6. Target.comBudget-minded parents will appreciate the selection and prices now available in the school uniform department at Target. The uniform brands are Cherokee, French Toast and Dickies. Sizes run for girls' and boys' - extra small to extra large, girls' plus sizes - 4 to 17 and boy's husky sizes - 4 - 16. You can also shop for uniforms in junior and young men sizes.
Prices depend on which brand you shop and what time of the year that you shop. Cherokee is usually the cheapest, next comes Dickies and most expensive in French Toast. The best time to get the biggest discounts is in January during the winter sales.
To find the "Uniform" department, click on the Kids link and look for the Uniform section or type in Uniforms in the search box. The links are not included here because it changes regularly.
Also, remember that Target stores offers price matching. This could come in handy to help lower the prices.
They offer a fantastic selection of school uniform pleated skirts, kilts, and skorts. Select from a huge inventory of school plaids and solids in polyester, poly cotton, and wool fabrics.
Sizes range from children's size 3 to adult 42 waist, specializing in girls plus sizes. This is one of the few sites with ankle length long skirts. The prices are competitive and the quality looks great.
Looking for Girl and Boy Scouts of America apparel? They have it all including Brownie Scout and Cadette uniforms and Tiger and Cub Scout uniforms and accessories.
8. Kohl'sKohl's has a full line of girls' and boy's Chaps uniforms in regular, plus and husky sizes. When the merchandise is at the regular prices it is a little high. For example the Picot Uniform Polo (Girls' 7-16) runs around $20 / $11 on sale. Fortunately, many of the basic uniform pieces are on sale. Be sure to read the review comments for tips on sizing.
LandEnd.com has a great selection of uniforms ranging in toddler to adult sizes, including plus and husky sizes.
In 2013, LandsEnd won a Good Housekeeping VIP (Very Innovative Products) Award for the "Iron Knee" chino pants which also comes in a stain and wrinkle resistant style. The pants run around $30, which is a high when referring to school uniforms, but based on the reviews it sound like it is worth it.
The most popular polo shirt is a unisex Interlock Polo that is priced at $18 for regular kids' sizes, but you can often find a promotion like "Buy three or more Kids', save $3 each or buy three or more Adults', save $5 each."
Customers rave about how fresh the polo shirts look straight out of the dryer, stains come out easily and durability received high marks. That alone may make it worth the price.
Macys.com has an impressive lineup of uniforms from brands like Izod, Nautica, Ralph Lauren, and Tommy Hilfiger topping the charts.
Prices range depending on the brand. Sizes run from girls' 2-16 and boys' 2-20. The Nautica Boys' Uniform Polo Shirt (short-sleeve) was originally $24, marked down to $9.99 when I visited the site. The price could be back at the original price.
Bargain hunters will want to wait until sale time in order to get the best prices on these quality brands.