Basic Empowerment for the Consumer
Remember a few basic principles:
- You hold all the purchasing power because you hold the money!
- No matter what you are purchasing, it is okay to ask for a better deal.
- If not satisfied that you are getting the best deal, you can shop elsewhere.
- You can always decide not to buy if the cost exceeds your budget.
What to Leave at Home
There are a few human qualities that can cost the consumer big bucks such as:
- Ego! Shopping is no place to try to impress anyone unless you have money to spend on building up your ego.
- Fear! Are you too shy to ask for a better deal? Afraid of rejection? Memorize some basic terminology to use when bargaining so that you feel more comfortable during the process.
- Arrogance! Negative or rude attitudes have killed more opportunities to save money then anything else. Leave the rude behavior at home. Remember, killing them with kindness, can pay off.
- People Pleasing! If you have a hard time, saying "no thank you", then practice before you hit the stores. If worse comes to worse, bring a friend who understands your spending boundaries and who is willing to do it for you.
More: How To Save Money On Anything You Buy