- An expanded list of eligible categories, including small home appliances and select sporting goods such as basketball goals, trampolines and large exercise equipment. Customers can also use layaway for a broad selection of electronics, toys and jewelry.
- Early layaway access for shoppers who "like" their local Walmart store on Facebook. Customers simply need to sign up on their local Walmart Facebook page beginning August 28 to be able to start their layaway two days early on September 14.
- A full refund of the layaway open fee ($15) given on a Walmart gift card for customers who make their final payment.
Process, Pricing and SavingsA down payment of 10 percent or $10, whichever is greater, is required and is applied to the purchase. Individual items must be priced $15 or more, and the total layaway purchase must be at least $50. If the order is cancelled or not paid in full, the open fee is not refunded; however, no additional cancellation fee will be charged.
How is This an Improvement Over Last Year?
- Last years customers had 60 days to pay out their layaway. This year Walmart is giving 90 days.
- Last year there was a $10 cancellation on layaways, but this year there is no charge for cancellations.
- Last year customers were not refunded the fee to place items on layaway. This year the open fee is $15 (last year it was $5), but customers get it all back in a gift card when they pay out their layaway.
See also: Stores With Layaway Plans